Agave is a unique plant that is used to make sweeteners and also used in tequila. If you think agave comes in only one type, then you are wrong.
Agave has almost 130 different types that grow worldwide. Few places where you can easily find them are Central America, United States, etc. The blue agave plant is also known as Blue Tequilana Weber.
Agave Allergy that can irritate who got it. The unique nectar of blue agave is considered one of the best substitutes of sugar and is used in various products, such as candies, cakes, drinks, cookies, sauces, etc.
This allergy is not common in people, but yes those who are allergic can witness mild to severe allergic symptoms.
Table of Contents
Agave Allergy-Everything You Must Know
How does an agave plant look like?
The agave plant is very similar to the aloe vera plant. Though talking about the color and shape, it is somewhat round and varies in color from dark greenish to grayish.
It has sharp leaves with spikes on them. The essential part of this plant is the same as the aloe vera plant; the agave plant is used to make juice and sap.
There are several branded corn syrup in the market, but corn syrup is high in fructose if compared with agave nectar. While on the other hand, agave syrup is considered a natural and healthy sweetener without side effects.
Where is agave nectar commonly used?
It is seen that agave is mainly harvested to fulfill the need to make tequila. Thus the juice of this plant is fermented and then distilled to complete the process.
Therefore, if you find yourself allergic to agave or tequila, it is highly recommended to avoid other juices.
Symptoms of Agave Allergy that reflect you are allergic to agave plant:
If you see the below symptom after having tequila or any other sweet juice or product, then it is sure that you are allergic to the ingredient of it.
- Irritation in throat
- Watery eyes
- Runny nose
- Mild headache
- Skin rashes etc.
Therefore the above were the symptoms that are easily visible if you have taken agave nectar by mouth. As said earlier, it looks similar to the aloe vera plant, and many times people used it on their skin. Therefore the below symptoms would be easily noticeable in such case:
- Redness on skin.
- Itching on skin.
- Small red patches on the skin.
- Swelling in different areas.
- Sore formation.
- Swelling of veins.
- Burning sensation on your skin. Etc.
How to avoid agave plant:
To avoid getting in touch with agave plants is only possible when you are sure that you have an agave allergy. It is suggested to get a blood test or skin prick test done while consulting your doctor to understand your tolerance to agave plants.
If your results come out positive, you can take emergency medication prescribed by your doctor when encountering an agave allergy. In other situations, you can
- Avoid drinking tequila
- Avoid drinking market juices.
- If you love to explore mountains, then do good research on places where agave plants grow.
- Keep your inhaler and emergency medication always with you so that you can treat it on your own in case you come in touch.
Symptoms of agave allergy after having tequila:
Many times people tend to get confused allergy with intolerance. A person who might be allergic to one drink can show different noticeable symptoms.
While on the other hand, a person who is intolerant to any alcohol might show temporary and common signs. A person who is allergic to tequila can have anaphylaxis which is a severe form of allergy.
Anaphylaxis can cause an allergic reaction that can be life-threatening and can even cause death. Thus after having tequila, if you notice the below symptoms, then you are allergic to agave:
- Swelling of the face.
- Irritation in throat and mouth.
- Swelling of the throat and tonsil-like feeling.
- Nasal congestion and difficulty in breathing.
- Vomiting and diarrhea.
- Abdominal pain and bloating.
- Loss of consciousness and headache.
- Feeling of dizziness.
- Runny nose and watery eyes.
- Skin-related issues are arising etc.
People often tend to ignore minor symptoms of allergy
It is also expected that in many cases, people tend to over drink or might drink 2-3 different types together, which can cause some common issues.
Therefore, it is advised to consult your doctor for better guidance and understanding about your tolerance.
How to know you are tequila intolerant?
As stated above, the factors that can come up if you have agave sensitivity after drinking tequila. While in some cases, people can be tequila intolerant as well.
To understand that, one needs to understand that alcohol has vinegar that affects the liver directly. Thus if your body doesn’t produce enough enzymes to digest alcohol, then conditions such as:
- Increasing of the heartbeat.
- Feeling dizzy etc can cause.
The intolerance to tequila can occur due to the lack of enzymes required to digest the alcohol, and the side effects come up.
Agave Allergy treatment:
What to do immediately if you see symptoms?
The below is some basic first aid you can do by yourself to help yourself reach ease before consulting a doctor.
- Rinse your skin correctly if you see any allergic reaction on the skin if you used agave leaf directly.
- Try to gargle using Luke warm water and drink warm water to keep you hydrated.
- Clean your nails and fingers properly if you have touched agave or the gel part of it so that there is not particle left.
- Call your doctor immediately or the hospital nearby so that they can reach you on time.
- If your doctors have given emergency medication, take it immediately and then proceed with consulting your doctor.
- In case of mild rashes and itchiness, you can take antihistamines that do not have a high side effect. Please note before taking any medication by yourself or referring online, consult your doctor once as wrong medicines can worsen the situation.
Therefore, it, if you find yourself in any type of allergic distress due to agave plant. Please contact your nesrest doctor or hospital first. After which for instant relief you can use above mentioned treatments. Please dont consume any medication without the prescription of your doctor.